"ULJANIK" was founded in 1856, in the carefullyselected bay of Pula as a shipyard of the Austro-Hungarian navy. Thefoundation stone was laid on December 9th by the Empress Elizabeth so,this date is celebrated as the anniversary of the Shipyard, one of theoldest in the world. Almost two years after laying the foundation stone- on October 5th, 1858, the first ship - Kaiser - having adeadweight of 5,194 tonnes, was launched from the berth. Theconstruction of 55 ships of various type for the Austro-Hungarian fleethaving a total deadweight of 53,588 tonnes followed.
It was named after an islet on which there used to grow olive treeswhile at present the steel and hull fabrication workshops are situatedthere. One olive tree has been preserved as a symbol.
In the long period of continuous work, the Shipyard from Pula passedthrough various development times. During the Italian rule it wasengaged in repairs, docking and cutting of old ships.After the fall of Italy during the 2nd World War it became a Germannaval base. From 1947 it was being renovated under the SocialistFederative Republic of Yugoslavia. It continued with the docking,reconstructions and repair of ships, while the first newbuilding wasdelivered in 1951.Under its ausslikees it developed engineering, electrical productionand other productions.
In the independent and free Republic of Croatia, starting from 1990, itbecomes a joint-stock company, undergoes the critical years of attackupon Croatia, continues with the shipbuilding production of differentand special ships and in the second half of 1998, it enters the periodof great technological rebuilding. In the period from 1947 to the endof 1998, Uljanik delivered 194 newbuildings, totalling more than 6million DWT, to buyers from all continents.
Uljanik's experts design, construct and build all types of ships i.e.ships for transportation of oil and oil products, bulk cargoes,containers, trucks, rail-carriages, cars, passengers...
It is difficult for Uljanik's people to mark off the most significantship. Every ship is special - built according to the specific buyer'srequirements.
With VLCC-s the Shipyard from Pula has developed the technology ofbuilding the hull in two parts and then joining them afloat. In thisway, in the period from 1972 to 1976 there were built 11 ships and,among them the biggest ones, Tarfala of 275,000 dwt for the Stockholm based company "Trafialtiebolaget Grangesberg", and Kanchenjunga of 277,120 tonne dead-weight delivered to the Indian company - "The Shipping Corporation of India" in 1975.
Products & Services: Car-Truck Carrier building , Chemical Tanker building , Crude oil tanker building , Gas tanker building , Livestock Carrier building , main engine product , Multipurpose Ro/Ro carrier building , Self–Propelled Cutter Suction Dredger building , shipbuilding , slow-speed engines , Trailing Suction Hopper Dredger building , Wagon Carrier building
Date added: 2008-10-04 | Last updated: 2013-01-02 06:48:47 | Viewed: 91 times