MacGREGOR’s RoRo division – part of the Cargotec Corporation – has received a contract for conversion of total six RoRo vessels for Finnish owner Finnlines. The contract includes design, fabrication, installation and commissioning of about 5,500m2 car decks per vessel.
Each shipset of RoRo equipment consists of a double level of liftable car decks including two access ramps, one to each car deck level. To improve the stability of the vessels the car decks will be designed with a lightweight construction, including a plywood top plate to reduce weight.
The car decks and access ramps will all be electrically operated with an electric jigger winch installed in the lower deck panels and in the access ramps.
Advantages of electric drives compared with hydraulic
To the shipowner
- No oil pollution or damage to goods by hydraulic oil as no hydraulic oil is required.
- Maintenance friendly
- Energy saving as no continuous running
- Easy to monitor
- No change in operating time in cold conditions
To the shipbuilder
- cable wiring is easier than piping
- no flushing work required
- no need for high pressure hydraulics skills
- no pump unit needed.
MacGREGOR will have turnkey responsibility for the delivery, and the installation of the equipment will take place in 2010-2012 in China, just after the vessels have been delivered from Jinling Shipyard.
The contract value exceeds €10 million.